Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tofu salad ON Toast

ToFu
My food adventure this week included some firm tofu. Meat is super expensive and takes a lot of time to prepare, so I have been looking for alternative ways to get my protein.  I purchased Nasayo water packed firm tofu. It has about 5 servings worth in a pack for around 3 dollars, not bad! Tofu is kinda like a gold fish you win at a fair. You have to change its water everyday and it only last 5 days. (haha tofu jokes) Ok so I was a little weary to try this because of the texture. I really had to mentally talk myself through eating it, saying its just tofu its just tofu. It had a weird bland taste before I seasoned it, but once I found a good combo I was pleasantly surprised. I try to find meals that have simple ingredients and a short cook time, so here is my quick tofu salad on toast recipe. Enjoy!

Ingredients: (2 servings)
6 oz of tofu (I cut the pack into 5 parts and used 1 section)
1/2 red bell pepper or green
1 tsp Spicy brown mustard or Dijon etc
1 tsp Helman's light mayo
Salt and pepper a few shakes of each or to taste
2 slices sprouted wheat bread or whole wheat
2oz red fat sharp cheddar cheese or what ever cheese you have.

Directions-mash tofu, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl with a fork. Cut the pepper into chunks and stir in to the well blended tofu mix. Toast bread. I slice my cheese real thin so that just 1 oz of cheese can cover the whole bread. I toast my bread in a pan because I don't have a toaster, which is nice because then I can melt the cheese on the bread. Once I do that I just scoop the tofu salad on the cheese bread and eat. This is a great protein meal, you should make one or two of your meals out of three a protein meal. It's easy to go carb crazy, but we need balance. If you feel this wont be enough for lunch have a side of fruit or even a salad.



2 comments:

  1. My mom and I used to eat a bunch of tofu caprese sandwiches in the summer. Delish! I've also used it a protein in a tofu lo mein dish and blended it up for an alfredo sauce. Rachel we definitely need to get together and cook this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Ik! We're nuts! tofu Alfredo is a really good idea. I wish I had a camera so I could enter my pics on food gawker...it's my new life goal lol

    ReplyDelete