Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Quinoa Veggie Burger

Quinoa Veggie Burger

I'm super excited about this recipe, and surprised it turned out as good as it did. After spending a few hours on foodgawker.com I have been inspired by 4 or 5 recipes to make this creation. I've been dying to make a meal with the quinoa I purchased and I finally found my opportunity.
Sweet Potato

Chick Peas
Quinoa
Sweet potatoes have an amazing color and really sweeten the dish. Quinoa is the "mother of all grains" and great source of fiber/ carbs. My favorite beans and a staple in my pantry, chickpeas (garbanzo beans). These are my source of protein in this meal
I basically was pulling ingredients that seemed to fit as I went. I wanted to add some color so I included some chopped green onions, a handful of red onion, and crushed red peppers for a little zing.
This recipe has a lot of carbs so I only used one slice of sprouted grain bread.  You can play around with seasonings and sauces. I think there is enough flavor in the patties to not add anything extra, but I would have a lite salad on the side. Below is the recipe:)
wish I had a camera other than my two year old phone :(
(Makes three patties)
Ingredients:
1 Small Sweet Potato
1 Green onion
1 small hand full of red onion
1/2 can chick peas
1/4 cup Quinoa
1 tsp Crushed red peppers
Salt to taste

Directions:
Cook quinoa. Boil chickpeas, sweet potato, and onions together till soft (mashable). In a seperate bowl mash together all ingredients and let cool in the fridge. Shape into patties and fry in a pan with a little olive oil (til edges are brown and crisp). Dress with any additional seasoning, veggies, cheese, and bread. This is super simple to put together. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. yum! i was planning on making some lentil black bean burgers soon. :) did you know quinoa is is one of the highest sources of protein as far as grains go? good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out after I made this blog when I entered it into a recipe nutrition calculator lol

    ReplyDelete