Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The first step: Grocery shopping

So I understand healthy eating is overwhelming when your starting from scratch. What foods do I buy? How much does it cost? How much do I buy? These are all questions that you have asked yourself. Here I want to guide you into healthy eating by showing you what I purchase and how often, and what I always have on my shelf.
1. The grocery list:
- I separate my list into the different departments and have set some guidelines so that I don't over spend and get the best deals. This is not me telling you word for word what to buy just simply giving ideas and helping you customize your grocery list.

Vegetables:
2 Frozen (these can last several weeks)  broccoli and peas.
4-5 Fresh/cheap/ on sale: Carrots, potato, onion, green pepper, bagged lettuce, sweet potato,
2-3 splurge: Red pepper, mushrooms, squash, leeks, sugar snap peas, tomato, avocado.
(Some of these could be considered cheaper when on sale, but their typically more expensive)
*Bagged lettuce helps when your short for time
*I always have carrots, and sugar snap peas for snacking and packing.

Fruit:
7 Bananas (Cheap!)
4 Apples/ pears (summer opt for peaches and plums)
1 Orange or Grapefruit
1 Pack of any berry (expensive so I don't always get them)
Grapes (only get when on sale)
Lemon (use to flavor my water)
2 Frozen (I make smoothies once and awhile and they last long)
*You should have about two pieces of fruit a day, and eat with protein to avoid the spike in blood sugar.


Dairy: (Check dates to get the most out of what you buy)
16oz skim milk (Soy or almond: Size depending on how much you drink)
Cottage cheese (eat this with my grapes, great snack!)
Yogurt- I get a tub of plain Greek it last two weeks. If you like flavors get that.
Eggs- I buy a 6pk and a carton of egg whites each week
Cheese- cheese last a while if stored properly, I keep Parmesan, cheddar, and mozzarella part skim.

Sweets: (I buy two sweets at a time here are some ideas. I choose healthier foods but as long as you eat them in moderation you can get anything).
-Gelato ice cream
-Dark chocolate bar
-Clif dried fruit ropes
-Caramel rice cakes
-Craisins

Grains: (I don't buy these every week because they can be stored for months. This is what I keep in my cabinet.)
-2 kinds of whole wheat pasta
-Brown rice, basmati rice, arborio rice, wild rice.
-Quinoa
-Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted wheat bread (frozen last three weeks)
-Beans- Black, garbanzo
-Nuts- Almonds (good to eat with fruit)
-Chips/ Popcorn/ pretzels: Pick one every two weeks... and choose smart. Blue corn chips, soy chips, organic lightly salted popcorn. Look at the ingredients list, it should short and simple.

Meat:
Chicken: boneless skinless breast
White albacore tuna
Deli turkey meat
Tofu-firm
*I buy a pack of chicken divide it into 4 oz pieces and freeze it, last close to two months but I don't eat that much meat.
*I buy organic sliced turkey which isn't really the same as typical deli meat. It's super expensive and I rarely buy it, but turkey is a good meat to incorporate into your diet.

Beverage:
Stevia sweetener
Lemon (I said before)
POM juice
Tea
Function: Alternative energy drinks (my caffeine fix)
*For the most part I drink water with added flavors

Must have:
Peanut butter
Spices- Cinnamon, crushed red peppers, salt&pepper, vanilla extract (spices are a work in progress)
Olive oil
Baking supplies: oat flour, raw sugar, baking soda and powder, rolled oats, flaxseed
Vegetable broth
Instant oatmeal
Kashi cereal or what ever you prefer 1 box: last 2 weeks or more
Granola bars: I find coupons and sales for my favorites: Luna, Lara Bar, Cliff mojo.
Mustard
Lite Mayo (I hardly ever use this, only about a tsp in my tofu)
Syrup: Agave, maple or honey (I hate honey but a lot of people like it so I added it)
Vinegar
Caesar dressing (your favorite)
*I may have for got some things but this is a good start. You Obviously don't buy these items every week they are in your cabinet/ fridge for lengths of time.

Having these basics every week will make cooking meals, and putting together snacks super easy.





No comments:

Post a Comment