Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Skin foods

If there's one thing I know a lot about, it's bad skin. I have had pretty bad acne since I can remember and It's still something I deal with everyday. Changing my diet has really helped manage my skin, and reduce my breakouts. Here I want to share with you some of the best foods to eat when dealing with troubled skin. Even if you you have great skin these are good ways to maintain healthy glowing skin!

This is good compared to before!
mostly scarring left.



















1. Avocado- I LOVE avocados! They have a very unique texture, and taste great with so many different foods. Whether it's topping a veggie burger, sandwich, rice dish, or making guacamole, avocados just        make every meal special and tasty. They contain essential oils, and B-complex vitamins, which protect your skin from UV rays, and wrinkles. Avocados contain a sufficient amount of niacin (vitamin B3), which reduces redness, and soothes the skin. The vitamin E in avocados protects the cell membranes of the skin from everyday harm. Also, avocados are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants protect our skin from free radicals that our body produce from oxidation. However, one thing to keep in mind when eating avocados is that they are high in fat (monosaturated= healthy fat). I like to view avocados like I do olive oil, it's good to have, but in small amounts. Don't go scarfing down a bowl of guacamole, instead add three thin slices to your sandwich. Avocados can also be applied to the face! http://www.drgranny.com/2011/04/05/avocado-face-mask/. Try out some of these easy at home avocado face masks!

2. Mangoes-This fruit is rich in vitamin A! Vitamin A repairs skin cells, and if you don't get enough you'll notice your skin begin to get really dry. Like vitamin E, Vitamin A is an antioxidant and fights against skin damaging free radicals. Mangoes are relatively low in calories and can easily be incorporated into any diet. I have a recipe to come that has mango, dried cranberries, blueberries, and quinoa!

3. Water- I can't stress this enough! If there's one thing that helps my skin the most it would be drinking     water. When I wake up in the morning my eyes are extremely puffy and my face looks swollen. So the first   thing I do is drink 8oz or more of water. I hate water, I know weird, but I force my self to drink at least 48 fl oz a day. I like to add a little lemon juice or POM juice just so It's not unbearable. My skin stays hydrated even when I'm applying harsh prescription medication twice a day. It also has cleared my skin so much! I went from waking up with 5 new pimples on my face to about 1. So drink up!

4. Almonds, eggs, spinach- Like avocados they contain Vitamin E, which protects our cell membranes of the skin. Not only that, but they keep you full and contain essential healthy fats. I always keep a bag of almonds around either for breakfast, toppings, or a snack on the go!

5.Cottage cheese- We all know dairy products are good for your skin, but cottage cheese also contains selenium. Selenium helps protect against free radicals when it's paired with vitamin E. It also fights dandruff, and prevents skin cancer. I love non-fat cottage cheese mixed with sweet fruits such as , red grapes, banana, red delicious apple, and any in season berry.

6. Zinc rich roods- Zinc affects sebum production. A deficiency seems to increase acne. Here are some zinc rich foods in order: oysters, wheat germ, veil liver, sesame seeds, low fat roast beef, pumpkin/squash seeds, dark chocolate/cocoa powder, lamb, and more check this article out! http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/zinc.php
7.Berries- The richer and darker the color the more antioxidants it has! As I said before, antioxidants protect your skin from harmful free radicals produced by cell oxidation.
8.Flaxseed- It's an anti-inflammatory because of it's omega-3 fatty acids, which helps reduce redness in acne.
9.Salmon- Also rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
10. Oranges, tomatos, melons- vitamin C rich foods, help protect your skin from scarring.
Foods to Avoid!!- High in IOdine (salt), "White foods (breads, fries, etc)"
Sources:
http://www.avocado.org.au/resources/articles/articles.aspx?articleID=5
http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/psoriasis/tips/feed_your_face_10_foods_for_better_skin.aspx?gclid=CI2tqJzS664CFQIBQAodWxx2IA&trans=1&du=1&ef_id=d%40dNgRcPwCYAAIWh%3a20120316143649%3as

No comments:

Post a Comment