Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Quinoa & Peppers

Well in honor of this beautiful spring day, I thought I would make a fresh quinoa and pepper stir fry! I love mixing colors in my food, makes it taste better. hehe
I also wanted to share this because I don't think as many people have had quinoa before.  It's pretty much the healthiest grain out there, and has a unique shape/texture. The first time I had it I didn't like it. I think It's because I went into it expecting something more like rice.  I have been experimenting with this grain a bit, and now that I found its perfect match, bell peppers, I can't believe I ever doubted quinoa! I know I gave some facts about quinoa in a previous blog, but here it is again for those who missed it! Everything you need to know about "mother of all grains".
1. Protein-contains all 9 essential amino acids. Our bodies don't produce these, hence the name essential, and are key to the building blocks of muscles.
2. Magnesium: Relaxes blood vessels, which helps reduce migraines, and regulates blood pressure. Quinoa also reduces migraines because of the Riboflavin (vit B12).
3. Fiber- promotes colon health, and helps with digestion. 
4. Mangenese & Copper- Act as antioxidants that rid the body of harmful, cancerous substances
These are just a few of there benefits here are some articles that go more indepth!
As usual this is a quick, tasty, and healthy meal any one can make. I had a two hour break between classes today so I took some of that time to make this beauty! Enjoy :)
Looks good, Right!?
Ingredients (one serving)
Bell peppers 1 cup chopped
White onion 1/2 cup chopped
Quinoa 2 tbsp dry (1/8 cup)
Salt to taste
Pepper 1/4 teaspoon
Crushed red peppers to taste
Fresh squeezed Lemon to taste
Parmesan -pinch
Directions:
Cook quinoa according to package directions (15-20min). Set quinoa aside and stir fry peppers, onion, and seasoning (no oil needed). I cooked them about (5-10min) so that they still had a crunch. Mix together quinoa and veggies and sprinkle on some Parmesan and extra salt if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment